Sunday, April 30, 2000

The Appleyard Family

Richard Appleyard and Rachel Beaver married in Skircoat just south of Halifax in the county of Yorkshire, England on 25 September 1808. Their six children were born in Yorkshire, England.
I. Mary Appleyard, baptized 26 March 1809 in Halifax, Yorkshire, England
II. Thomas Appleyard, baptized 7 September 1811 in Halifax, Yorkshire, England
III. Jonas Appleyard, baptized 4 July 1814 in Halifax, Yorkshire, England
IV. William Appleyard, baptized 2 Jun 1816 in Halifax, Yorkshire, England
V. Richard Appleyard, born 28 August 1817; baptized 12 October 1817 in Halifax, Yorkshire, England
VI. Martha Ann Appleyard, born about 1826.
Richard, the father, died about 1836 in Yorkshire, England. Rachel, her children and grandchildren arrived in America on 2 May 1849 aboard the SS Andrew Foster. Rachel Appleyard does not appear in the ship manifest. Michael Appleyard, age 62, is recorded in the middle of the family group. I suspect an error occurred as Rachel would have been 62 at the time of arrival. The Appleyard family emigrated with Joseph and James Wilson, friends from their church, who wished to settle in the Chicago area.

The Wilsons settled in Geneva, Illinois and the Appleyards joined friends near Oak Glen; later to be renamed Glenview. They arrived on 13 June 1849 and soon after settled on a farm at the corner of Glenview Road and Shermer Road (At the tine Shermer was called Telegraph Road.) Richard’s farm was on the west side of Telegraph Road and Williams on the east side.

Richard Appleyard made a living farming. A church was erected on Appleyard property. Richard Appleyard was well versed in the Bible and often preached to those who worshipped there.

Richard Appleyard married Hannah Woodworth on 24 February 1851 in Kane County, Illinois. They had six children born on the farm at Glenview and Telegraph/Shermer Roads. Their eldest son, John, was born in 1840 in England.
I. Fannie Fern Appleyard; born 1852; married John Dewes on 27 September 1873; died 17 December 1919;
II. Elizabeth C. Appleyard; born 1853; married William Dewes on 28 August 1875; died 9 March 1910.
III. Frank Crosby Appleyard; Twin to Edwin; born 1855; married Florence Kennicott on 18 November 1879; died 18 December 1928.
IV. Edwin Halifax Appleyard; Twin to Frank; born 1855; married Ida Button on 18 December 1878; died 1925.
V. Henry Brougham Appleyard; Twin to Jenny; born 1859; married Alice Milne on 30 April 1884; died 1932.
VI. Jennie Lind Appleyard; Twin to Henry; born 1859; married William Ellis on 26 March 1883; died 1921.
The Appleyards were a frugal, hard working family. The brothers, Richard, Thomas and William, pooled their resources and worked their farms together. Eventually they abandoned the practice.

Richard was an excellent businessman. He had a steady increased in capital due to the demand for farm products during the Civil War. He retired about 1876 and son, Frank, took over the farm renting it from his father. Later Edwin and Henry rented the farm.

In 1890, Richard Appleyard sold the farm and moved to an apartment in Chicago where he died on 16 October 1892.

William Appleyard migrated west and died on 25 February 1903 in Odebolt, Sac, Iowa. Martha Ann Cockroft nee Appleyard died 28 August 1897 in Alameda, California. Mary Appleyard’s death is unknown.

Appleyard graves located in Northfield Oakwood Cemetery, Milwaukee Ave., Northbrook, Illinois:
Rachel Appleyard nee Beaver died 1 December 1866.
John Appleyard d. 1913
Willis W Appleyard d. 1938
Clara Appleyard d. 1920
Thomas Appleyard died in 1876 – No Headstone
Martha Appleyard nee Mitchell d. 1887
Richard Appleyard died 1892
Hannah Appleyard nee Woodworth d. 1908
John Appleyard d. 1913
Willis W Appleyard d. 1938
Clara Appleyard d. 1920
Fanny Fern Dewes nee Appleyard d. 1919
John Dawson Dewes d. 1919
Robert Dewes d. 1959
Grace Dewes d. 1974
Elizabeth C. “Eliza” Dewes nee Appleyard d. 1910
William Dewes d. 1918
Hanna Geffe nee Dewes d. 1944
Frank Crosby Appleyard d. 1928
Florence Appleyard nee Kennicott d. 1922
Max Kennicott Appleyard d. 1952
Leslie Appleyard d. 1940
Roba Kennicott Rollins nee Appleyard d. 1958
Edwin Halifax Appleyard d 1925
Ida Appleyard nee Button d. 1923
Roger Edwin Appleyard d. 1946
Henry Broughman Appleyard died 13 March 1932
Alice Appleyard nee Milne died 13 September 1949
George V Appleyard d. 24 Apr 1952
Blanche Viola Melzer nee Appleyard d. 1975
Jenny Lind Ellis nee Appleyard d. 1921
William Ellis d. 1933
Elizabeth Ellis d. 1898
Daughter of William Appleyard and Sarah Coup
Rachel Kinder nee Appleyard d. 1912
Graves located in Odeboldt Cemetery, Odeboldt, Sac, Iowa:
William Appleyard d. 1900
Sarah Appleyard nee Clayton d. 1989
John W Appleyard d. 1903
Please refer to the Glenview Library Local File for the Appleyard Family. The file includes short histories, photographs and obituaries of various family members. A Christmas Hymn (1849-1815) brought from Yorkshire, England and sung by the Wilsons, Cockrofts and Appleyards is in the file.

Wednesday, April 26, 2000

The Dewes Family

The Dewes family came to the area from Yorkshire, England. The family had a long history of farming in Yorkshire spanning over 300 years.

John Dewes married Elizabeth Ann Dawson on 15 October 1901 in Marton cum Grafton, York, England. Their seven children were born in Yorkshire.

I. John Dewes, b. 7 September 1802, d. 22 October 1802
II. Ann Dewes, b. 1 October 1803, m. 22 November 1823 to George Heslington in Marton cum Grafton
III. John Dewes, b. b. 31 January 1806
IV. Elizabeth Dewes, b. 26 February 1811, m. 1 July 1830 to Thomas Jefferson in Marton cum Grafton
V. Jane Dewes, b. 13 March 1914, m. 4 Sep 1834 to Thomas Webster in Marton cum Grafton
VI. Robert Dewes, b. 13 August 1816
VII. William Dewes, b. 21 August 1819

The Dewes came to the area in two groups and were among the earliest pioneers of Cook County.

George and Ann (Dewes) Heslington & family arrived first in 1833. They lived in Fort Dearborn until they could claim their 160 acres in Niles Center. The Heslingtons settled on a farm on the Deerfield moraine just north of a Potawatomie Village. Their daughter was the first white child born in the area.

The George and Ann (Dewes) Heslington Family:

I. John Heslington, b. in Yorkshire
II. Ann Heslington, b. in Yorkshire, wife of William Blann
III. Isabel Heslington, b. in Yorkshire, wife of George Langrehr
IV. Elizabeth Jane Dewes Heslington, b. in Yorkshire, wife of George Millen
V. Margaret Ella, b. Cook County, Illinois
VI. Thomas W. b. Cook County, Illinois
VII. Sophia Amelia, b. Cook County, Illinois
VIII. Maria Antoinette, b. Cook County, Illinois, wife of Otto Linemann of Northfield Township

Ann (Dewes) Heslington’s parents and three siblings arrived in New York on 1 June 1836 aboard the SS Sylvanus Jenkins: John & Elizabeth (Dawson) Dewes with their children: John, Robert and William. They settled on a farm near the Heslingtons on land that would one day become the Glen View Country Club. The Glen View Club has maintained the family cabin with the family cemetery intact.

John Dewes, son of John & Elizabeth (Dawson) Dewes died shortly after arriving in Cook County. Little is known about their son, William Dewes, b. 1819.

Son, Robert, married Mary Ann Henley date unknown. Their eight children were born in Cook County, Illinois.

I. Elizabeth Ann Dewes, b. 1825, m. 1870 Alfred Oldfield
II. John Dawson Dewes, b. 1849, m. 1873 Fannie Fern Appleyard
III. William Dewes, b. 1851, m. 1875 Elizabeth C. Appleyard
IV. Edwin Dewes, b. 1857
V. Robert Dewes, b. 1858
VI. Jane Annie Dewes, b. 1860
VII. Emilia Sophia Dewes, b. 1864, m. 1886 William Tinen
VIII. Mary Snowden Dewes, b. 1866, m. 1889 Joseph Olinger

Dewes Graves located at The Dewes Cemetery on the Glen View Club’s property, 100 Golf Road, Golf, IL:
John Dewes, d. 19 August 1838 aged 61 years
Elizabeth Dawson Dewes, d. 5 April 1864 aged 81 years
Ann Dewes Heslington, d. 4 Sep 1881 aged 77 years
George Heslington, d. 7 August 1799 aged 79 years
Thomas W. Heslington, d. 26 January 1919 aged 79 years
John Dewes, d. 28 June 1836 aged 30 years
Robert Dewes, d. 7 May 1868 aged 51 years

Please refer to the Glenview Public Library Local History File for The Dewes Family and the book, Glenview: The First Centennial page 20.

The Village of Glenview website contains a brief history of the Heslington and Dewes families. Please note discrepancy: Robert Dewes was the brother to Ann (Dewes) Heslington. Her parents were John Dewes and Elizabeth Dawson Dewes.

For information regarding the Heslington Family, please visit here.

The Dollen Family

The Dollen Family’s migration from Curry Mallet, Somerset, England is a story of the migration of a large family all linked by the surname of Paul. Family members arrived in small groups entering in New York City and traveling to Skaneateles, New York.

John Dollen wed Emma Strong on 4 April 1852 in the town of Jordan, New York. Shortly thereafter, John and Emma made their way, perhaps along the Erie Canal, to Northfield Township. A family story has been passed on that John worked along the Erie Canal.

John and Emma Dollen settled on a farm just south of Central at Dearlove Road near the train overpass. They raised their eleven children many of whom attended the Grove School.

Dollen Children: William (b. 1852), Walter H. (b. 1854), Albert A. (b. 1856), Frank (b. 1859), Silas (1861-1862), Cora E. (b. 1863), Julia Ann (b. 1865), Mary Jane (b. 1868), Edwin Paul (b. 1871), Charles Henry (b. 1873) and Jessie May (b. 1877).

Other extended family took a similar path west from England, New York City, Skaneateles, and New York to Northfield Township, Illinois. The George Paul family (2nd cousin to John Dollen and Emma Strong) stopped briefly in Northfield Township before moving on to Plainfield, Illinois. Other family surnames following a similar path include Cockle and Steele.

John Dollen died in 1894 and Emma in 1919. They are buried in the Northfield Oakwood Cemetery, Milwaukee Avenue, Northbrook, Illinois. Their son, Edwin Dollen, lived in their farmhouse until it went to auction in October 1922. In February 1941, “The Dollen Place,” as old timers knew it burned to the ground.

John and Emma Dollen’s children relocated to Des Plaines, Illinois; Fairmont, Minnesota; Michigan and California.

The Dearlove Family of Glenview

The Dearlove farm was located at the southwest and southeast corner Glenview Road and Milwaukee Avenue. Glenview residents today know the Dearlove name best by driving along Dearlove Road which runs diagonal from Milwaukee and Glenview Road to Central just east of the freight tracks – near Beck Lake.

The Dearlove family originated in Yorkshire England and immigrated to the United States sometime in the mid 1830s. They journeyed across the Atlantic Ocean then traveled down the Erie Canal after which they sailed on the Great Lakes finally disembarking in what is now Chicago.

Their stay in Chicago was a short one. Soon afterward, the Dearloves made their way northwest and eventually settled in an area populated with fellow pioneers of British descent.

Early pioneers purchased land that was originally occupied by the Potawatomie tribe; which included the Chippewa and Ottawa tribes. Settlers paid the federal government $1.25 per acre as a result of the 1833 Treaty of Chicago. The Potawatomie were transferred to the Kansas Territory.

By 1840 stagecoaches travelled along Milwaukee Avenue from Chicago to Wheeling. Pony express riders also rode the Indian trails and dropped mail just south of Glenview Road possibly on Dearlove property.

Richard Dearlove and Hannah Matterson settled down and built a frame farmhouse for their large family: Mary (1813-1879), Peter (1816-1852), Thomas (1821-1839), George (1822-1907), Hannah (1825-1885), Joseph (1826-1857). Richard Dearlove died 15 August 1850 followed by Hannah on 1 April 1855. The Dearlove children thrived and produced many descendants of Richard and Hannah. Many of the Dearlove graves can be found in The Northfield Oakwood Cemetery, Milwaukee Ave., Northbrook, Illinois.

For more information on the Richard and Hannah (Matterson) Dearlove family, please visit the Glenview Library’s Genealogy and Local History Room.

The Heuck Family of Northfield, Illinois

The Georg Heuck family settled in Northfield, Illinois about 1856 from the town of Keil in the Holstein, area of Germany. Germany was not unified at the time of their emigration and the Keil Hostein area was ruled by Denmark.

Georg Heuck (b. in Keil, Holstein) and Margareta Oldenbuttel (b. in Hanover Province) married in 1839 and brought their many children to Northfield.

The Heuck children were born in Hanover province of Germany: August (b. 1839), Margareta (b. 1847), Henning (b. 1850), Janet (b. 1850), Catherine (b. 1852), and Frederick (b. 1856).

Georg Heuck was a blacksmith by trade. It has been said that he made surgical instruments. His eldest son, August, became a blacksmith carrying on his father’s trade.

Extended family lived nearby. Lawrence Heuck was found living next door to the George Heuck family in the 1870 US census. He was most likely a brother to Georg. Margareta Oldenbuttel’s brother, Gerhard, was living with August Heuck in 1880. Many members of this German speaking family are buried at the new St Peter’s cemetery located in Northbrook, Illinois.